Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Just stuff...

La Crosse Tornado

Sunday night a tornado ripped up LaCrosse, WI.  I grew up just twenty miles out of the city and remember it well.  I just became aware of the storm (it was part of a cluster of storms tornadoes that ripped up Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin sunday night.  My sister still lives in the area.


I have been in a couple of tornadoes, one in 1973 was particularly scary.... I was driving across one of the river bridges merely 100 ft behind the funnel..... watching trees getting plucked from the ground.  In 2000 a near event hit our town.  Tornadoes usually have a width of a mile or so.... that event covered over thirty miles..... the winds went from 10 to 120 mph in less that eight seconds... no funnel, so not actually a tornadoe, but the devastation was tremendous.

It has been a  bad season.... All across the country.  It is a fragile world.  Be kind to your brothers and sisters... where ever they are.  That's all I have .....
LaCrosse

5 comments:

S.W. Anderson said...

Scary stuff, all right, and so damaging and costly. I feel bad for all the people who've lost loved ones and friends, homes, businesses, their communities.

Maybe this is all just something that happens now and then, but I don't think so. I think global warming is making hurricanes and tornadoes morem numerous and intense, changing weather patterns so places like Florida that normally get a lot of rain, dry, and places like eastern Washington get a lot more precipitation than normal.

nonnie9999 said...

hurricanes are bad enough, but tornadoes would scare the life out of me. my heart breaks for the people of alabama, missouri, oklahoma, and everywhere else who lost so much in the storms.

Randal Graves said...

If people would just stop being gay, it would be 75° and sunny every day, every where.

okjimm said...

*** still waiting to hear from sister..... I guess there was significant damage just blocks from her house....

Randall.... you swine.....I have discovered that climate change is caused by CHEAP BEER.......!!!! it's the 'lite' beer drinkers been done causing all this shit!!!

Sue said...

I think this is climate change too, but whether or not its regular changes that come in cycles, I don't know. It feels worse than that.

Glad you're okjimm and I hope your sister is too!

Blog Archive