Thursday, August 13, 2009

Come grow old with me...


When i get older losing my hair,
Many years from now.
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine.
If i'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,


When i'm sixty-four.


I feel this shame….this remorse, that there are leaders in our country, our communities…in our media that are pandering to moneyed interests to stifle dialogue and communication regarding health care. I find it even more despicable that to do this they are spreading fear in one of our most cherished segments, the elderly.

The Bush administration, Cheney, Rove practiced this to further their agenda. Fear mongers.
It is shameful. And it breaks my heart.

I was young thirty-five years ago. I had successfully kept my ass out of a strange war being waged and popped it in college instead. Not being able to make the football team….I joined the debate team. I remember a hot topic in 1972.

RESOLVED: "That the federal government should provide a program of comprehensive medical care for all its citizens."


Things haven’t changed. Strange war and we are still short of band aids.

6 comments:

Laura said...

As I live in a Country whose government provides Health Care to everyone, I find it strange watching this debate go on in the States.
Especially this 'death panel' thingy that some seem so stuck on.
I can only shake my head.
I mean seriously.. it's insane!
Of course, my country has had socialized health care for so many decades, few can remember a time without it! So, it seems odd. Watching people fight against something that can be (if done well) wonderful.
Hoping that it all comes to a satisfactory conclusion soon.. and ends in a good way. Of course, if you were debating it 35 years ago..... LOL
((Hugs))
Laura

Life As I Know It Now said...

It just goes to show you that this country isn't as great as it claims to be, unless you're rich of course.

Randal Graves said...

Disassociating an entire populace from ancient (okay, a few hundred years) and powerful myths is a difficult thing, especially with that populace not being on board all that much. 3/4 want universal health care of some sort? Where are they?

Of course, the entertainment wing of the MIC, in giving face time to ill-informed, gun-toting lunatics, isn't helping.

susan said...

We can't very well expect to achieve a progressive society when we don't even have such basic understandings. The msm gleefully presents the views of those with broken brains while the rest of us nurse our broken hearts.

Sherry said...

I think a serious debate on how our govt operates is in order. What worked for a largely agrarian society with all its checks and balances? I'm not so sure it's valid in the 21st century. It's worse than watching paint dry.

Anonymous said...

I think a serious debate on how our govt operates is in order. What worked for a largely agrarian society with all its checks and balances? I'm not so sure it's valid in the 21st century. It's worse than watching paint dry.

Blog Archive