Monday, August 25, 2008

Bubba and his buddies move into their new apartment in a week for what Miriam calls his 'second last year of college'.


It was always interesting visiting their house last year.... Eric, Adam, Bubba, JD and will. The floor usually looking as if it was a aluminum can recycling center and the kitchen sink was, well, very much beyond description.... and sanitary conditions. Of course I remember living in squalid conditions when I was in college, but we at least had a rule about cleaning the bathroom quarterly. The Shame! The wretchedness!
Basically, when his lease ran out last June he decided to just 'live' without an apartment for three months. Homeless by choice, I guess.
He has 'stuff' stashed all over town. His kitchen chairs and table are in my basement along with some boxes of stuff. His futon and more boxes of stuff is stored at his mother's. There are clothes at Jim's and his old couch died a vomit strewn wreck over at Matt's.
This weekend I move him back with his wretched friends.
I always feel a little morose at the end of summer. Labor day was always my favorite holiday. We would always go to my brother-in-laws cottage on the shores of Green Bay.

But Holidays with the kids has pretty much ended. They have too much going on to spend a whole weekend with the old man.

So I plan on some more biking before the weather changes. Taking off friday to get a few things done (and I do virtually no business on a friday before a long weekend, anyways)... Thursday night is the last summer concert at the river.

I think I am getting burned out on the concert scene for the year.

The last concert is, get this, Alice Cooper.

I have never been an Alice fan.
I called up the ex and gave her two of my last tickets.



And there is a Packer game on Thursday night.
I have a couple of stories I'm writing... but have come up with a block, big time.


I just don't want summer to end.







12 comments:

Randal Graves said...

Um, where's #4? Old Alice is pretty damn good, but it would be foolish to go if it ain't your bag. I'm glad summer is ending, but my offspring are still under 18, so you can figure why I'm happy it's over. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a good long weekend planned. I find this time of year a bit melancholy because it signals the end of summer, etc. But as the family shifts into a different dynamic, I feel it more deeply.

And I've gotta love a post that has a Young Ones picture!

Billie Greenwood said...

The older I get, the more I notice the change of the seasons. Enjoy your holiday weekend.

Unconventional Conventionist said...

I don't want summer to end either.

Life As I Know It Now said...

I went to an Alice Cooper concert once. I can't says I remember it too much though--must have had too much fun.

susan said...

The seasons seem to pass like afternoons used to - except winter, which is like night.

Unknown said...

About your pictures:

The young ones always remind of lentils and now that Dcup makes lentils it is always a trip down memory lane.

I think any Alice Cooper concert would be more appropriately placed in the begining of summer.

Finally, just remember 4 x 3 is 12. Does that mean he'll be 3 times better than Favre? Here's hoping.

okjimm said...

Randal.... Packer football vs Alice Cooper...choices, choices.... I think I may check him out for a set..and then watch football.

Dcup... the Young Ones, the show used to blow me away. Mathman is right about the Lentils...except that I still can not stand them, but everytime I heard Lentils I get a flashback. Their kitchen on the show, though, looked a lot better than Bubba's.

Yupper, Summer is ending too fast for me. This was a good summer. It had been a long,difficult winter, for a lot of reasons, and I have no wish to repeat it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...summer's slowly winding down and the day's are growing shorter. All that means is that you'll be doing more beer drinking indoors... well, at least that's what it means to me. BTW..neato pic of you and the fam. You look as young as they do. ;^)

okjimm said...

Spartz... wish I was that young.....or maybe I am....lemme check the DR License&stuff

Billie Greenwood said...

okjimm, I gotta admit I thought you were somewheres in your 30's. The family photo knocked me back a bit. I'm ok now, tho. It's a great shot, BTW.

okjimm said...

BE.... break me up! //I'm ok now, tho // I guess I 'write' young, huh? :)

You made my day!!! Thanks!

Blog Archive