Monday, January 5, 2009

Beans, Movies and a bit of tea

Ok. All this holiday stuff is over. Whew! I gracefully returned my presents and picked out what I really wanted. Max gets me a coffee maker every year even though the one he gave me two years ago is perfectly fine. And he does know that at home I usually drink tea, not coffee. I think he does it to piss me off. So I took it back and picked up a copy of........


... a great flick from a couple of years ago that is still fantastic. Really a whole bunch better than having a second coffee maker. For a dude like me, a second coffee maker is akin to having a third testicle when the first two don't get used a whole lot. Anyways..............

The New Years Eve thingee doesn't do much for me. It is safer and more fun to stay home and get together with friends a different time. So I spent New Year's Eve day whipping up a batch of pork&beans.

Nope. Not the stupid canned stuff. I get out the slow cooker, soak up some butter beans, white beans, pintos & round up some smoked ham hocks, bacon, molasses, garlic, onions, brown sugar..... then add all my super-double secret herbs and spices and do my stuff!! But you need a beer, or two or three, before you smoke the herb and add the spices and I was very fortunate to have a friend drop off some bottles of a nice Christmas Ale from the Belgians at the Huyghe Brewery.

... an extremely nice blond ale about 10% alcohol. So I have beer, beans, books and movies.....and one of my all time favorites....


"Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."
Boy, that movie had it all! Newman and a supporting cast that beats all supporting casts! And some of the best lines ever!

"Nah - calling it your job don't make it right, Boss."

I think that knowing there will never be another Paul Newman flick was one of the sadder moments of 2008.

Cool Hand Luke also gave me a touch-stone line that I think about everytime I think of my divorce.....

"What we've got here is... failure to communicate."

...... and a little song that I used to hum alot in high school...

I don't care if it rains of freezes
'Long as I got my Plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car.
Through my trials and tribulations
And my travels through the nations
With my Plastic Jesus I'll go far.
You can buy a Sweet Madonna
Dressed in rhinestones sitting on a
Pedestal of abalone shell
Goin' ninety, I'm not wary
'Cause I've got my Virgin Mary
Guaranteeing I won't go to Hell

No, I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I have my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car
But I think he'll have to go
His magnet ruins my radio
And if we have a wreck he'll leave a scar

Happy Newsy Year!

9 comments:

Life As I Know It Now said...

I guess I need a plastic Jesus or Mary for my car. I hit a deer a couple of nights back and went out of control. It was scary there for a few moments before I managed to get the car stopped.

Mary Ellen said...

Liberality killed Bambi? Or did you just bruise him? Glad you're alright, hopefully your car didn't take too much of a beating.

okjimm- That baked bean recipes sounds good. I especially like the idea of smoking a little herb while cooking.

One of my favorite quotes from Paul Newman:

If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and and can't tell who the sucker is, it's you.

Like you, I stayed home New Years Eve. I'm so over the big parties and stuff. Give me a fire in the fireplace and a bottle of wine and I'm happy as a clam.

Happy New Year, kiddo. ;-)

Life As I Know It Now said...

No, I didn't kill him but he did put a hell of a dent on the right passenger side. I think I bruised him though.

okjimm said...

Libs... gotza watch out for them deer. I think most of them are suicidal and jump out from behind trees just to screw up homo sapiens with insuffcient insurance.

okjimm said...

Nunsly.... I love beans... which explains why most women prefer 'not' to spend the night with me. ;)

Missy said...

New Years we just get together with the neighbors. No one outside of walking distance.

Or lay down and roll down the hill distance.

Anonymous said...

before you smoke the herb and add the spices

Do you use papers or pack it in a pipe/bong before you smoke it?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Glad you had a great New Years Day celebration.

Sator Arepo said...

Best. Movie. Ever.

Unknown said...

Hey!!! That's Kevin Harvick, he's from Bakersfield!

I like Nascar..so sue me. ;p

Blog Archive