Thursday, September 16, 2010

In Parentheses


Not much today.  Unlike yesterday when there was oodles of not much!  Very much, though, enjoying the new(er) Black Keys offering.  It's good.  Very good.  Really good.  As in, I like it very really much&stuff.
Ok.... I don't do reviews well. for that you need to go to The Caliph of Clevelandistan  lennui-melodieux.blogspot.com..... if you can figure out what he is saying(which usually is more fun that KNOWING what he is saying. (if you know what I mean) Really.

but I have been on a reading kick..... eating stuff up.  Waiting for the new Thomas McGuane to hit the library (alreadyz gotz mine reserved).... and in the while reading a great book , "

Dangerously Funny: The Uncensored Story of "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" 

 

 

... not that it is a huge piece of literary accomplishment... but it details very well two of my heroes from my adolescent years ( I think I had a couple dozen of them.... years, not heroes)  Tom&Dick Smothers  and the show they had on CBS (when there were NO cable channel shit) The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.
Now looking back... it was all pretty tame stuff compared to what is on TV now (which is almost nothing.. or nothing gooooood.. or little that I watch) but with-out the Smothers Bros beating down censorship and pushing the edge of what is considered acceptable for TV viewing... there would have been no SNL or Cobert  or a host of other people.

(in 1968 the Comedy Hour featured comedian Pat Paulsen running for President as a member of the STAG party (Straight Talking American Government Party.)  A fore runner of the TEA Party (Tepid Enough Assholes) but really much more funny and whimsical.  (Really)

ok.  Now I gotz to get something done.  Gonna make some phone calls this afternoon for Russ Feingold.....
...... he belongs to my party. (I just hope he brings better beer the next time.) or I won't invite him to my next party.

ok.  Gotz to run and return my ex-wife's hedge trimmer(before she finds out I borrowed it)

4 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

Waiting for the new Thomas McGuane to hit the library...

Cool! Read "Ninety-Two in the Shade" and "Panama" a few years ago, been meaning to read more of his stuff.

Randal Graves said...

Dude, I only do something around 3 reviews a year I think, and anyway, rock and roll is the devil's music and worst of all for you, there's no beer in hell because it's too hot, muahahahaha, etc.

Do they have the Smothers Brothers on DVD? I remember watching reruns as a kid, that was funny stuff.

okjimm said...

Dear Bum.... it's all a good read. Also try Jim Harrison.... a good friend of McGuane's fro the UP of Michigan. I highly reccmend "Woman lit by Fireflies" or" The English Major" hope it rocks for you.

RG... I couldn't find any in library catalogs....but I know it must be out there. On my x-mas list. There were only 3 seasons.

susan said...

I remember them well too since I was lucky enough to be back in North America when their show hit the airwaves. Pat Paulson really was the forerunner of Colbert. It seems to me people in general were much more sophisticated then. Anyhow, I just found that you can watch excerpts on youtube or buy a greatest hits dvd from here.

ps: 'jobby an' whiskers' means guess what in Scots?

Blog Archive