Monday, December 14, 2009

Ok. It was a long weekend of shoveling snow, walking through slush and complaining about snow and slush. So I really have nothing of any import to say. (Like I ever do?) But I do have a joke. One that encompasses my three favorite subjects..... Tourists, Illinois, Dumb Questions & Blondes. (Ok, I am not employed in the Math field.)

A notable thing about where I live is the abundance of names of cities, towns, lakes and rivers that are derived from Native American dialects and languages. It usually can make for some very interesting pronunciations. Here's a story



Two tourists from Illinois were driving through Wisconsin. As they approached Weyauwega , they started arguing about the pronunciation of the town's name. They argued back and forth until they stopped for lunch.
As they stood at the counter, one tourist asked the employee, 'Before we order, could you please settle an argument for us? Would you please pronounce where we are . . . very slowly?'
The blond counter girl leaned over the counter and slowly said, 'Burrrr-gerrrr-Kiiiing.'

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute..I like it! ;)

Unknown said...

Also..is the pronunciation:

Way-au-weega?

okjimm said...

gees, more like 'Whey-a-wee-ga' heavy accent on secon and last... but whadda i know... I usually drive by on my way to Waupaca. After my stop in Zitau.

Unknown said...

Well, I took a shot at it. Never having lived in WI..I thought..wtf.. ;)

I got a Cali one for ya Jim:Zzyzx Rd

Laura said...

Haha! Very cute! :)

((Hugs))
Laura

Crow said...

Sheesh, tourists! This reminds me of a place I read about in New Zealand called:
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

which translates into English as "the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as 'landeater,' played his flute to his loved one."

Now show me somebody who couldn't pronounce that.

okjimm said...

//Zzyzx Rd// sis-ichs Rd?

I work at it, Sunshine! :)

Crow... HA! another reason NEVER to go to New Zealand....but there is Zeeland, MI..... www.ci.zeeland.mi.us

...where if someone were to say
"Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu"

it would mean, "You stupid idiot, you went out to get beer and forget the cheese and crackers!"

Unknown said...

Wrong ale breath!

It's: "zi-zix"

It's in the desert on the way to Vegas..figures right? ;)

Randal Graves said...

I like their onion rings.

lisahgolden said...

In and out, like a trip to Wisconsin. Or that's what they used to tell me.

Distributorcap said...

are you sure it wasnt mcdonalds

okjimm said...

hmmm...now that you mention it, DCap.... it coulda been Hardees.

Lisa... no one getz outa Wisconsin without buying $89.39 in souvenirs. New Law.

Randal... Onion Rings. yumm.

Blog Archive