Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I Like Russ


I get some wonderful junk in my email. And then I get notes from my Senator, Russ Feingold. The Dude cuts right to the chase. I wish the Senate was full of more guys like Russ.......



Jim,


I wanted to take a moment to share my thoughts on President Obama's plan for Afghanistan with you. I do not support the president’s decision to send additional troops to fight a war in Afghanistan that is no longer in our national security interest. It’s an expensive gamble to undertake armed nation-building on behalf of a corrupt government of questionable legitimacy. Sending more troops could further destabilize Afghanistan and, more importantly, Pakistan, a nuclear-armed state where al Qaeda is headquartered. While I appreciate that the president made clear we won’t be in Afghanistan forever, I am disappointed by his decision not to offer a timetable for ending our military presence there. I will work with members of both parties and both houses of Congress to push for a flexible timetable to reduce our troop levels in Afghanistan, as part of a comprehensive strategy to combat al Qaeda in the region and around the world.I will continue to speak out in favor of a flexible timetable for withdrawal, and I’m counting on you to help spread the word. If you haven't already done so, please take a moment and sign my petition supporting a flexible timetable for withdrawal. I’ll keep you updated on the next steps, and what you can do to make sure our message is heard.


Sincerely,
Russ Feingold

United States Senator

3 comments:

Randal Graves said...

Heh heh, good luck with that Russ. I think Tajikistan just looked at us cross-eyed. The bombing begins in five minutes.

Life As I Know It Now said...

It doesn't make sense to me that Obama would continue these expensive and damaging wars for the excuse of nation building. I think the Pentagon scared him with threats of Pakistani nukes being used by insurgents or something because surely Obama knows that we who elected him expected the wars to end.

susan said...

I signed one of those petitions today but it's just as well it was electronic since it would be such a terrible waste of paper if everyone who was upset about these decisions actually wrote a letter. Then again, the post office might start doing better.

Blog Archive