Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Memories!~

Long, long ago, in the dim recesses of my memory..... and there is no space in my memory that is well lit, I recall my first public performance at college, UW-O, a Reader's Theatre presentation of Jonathon Livingston Seagull.
Does anyone else remember that thin little book that sold gazillion some copies in the hippier-than-thou-let's-all-love-each-other early 70's?

Wow! I remember sitting there in front of a audience reciting lines like:

"How much more there is now to living! Instead of our drab slogging forth and back to the fishing boats, there’s reason to life! We can lift ourselves out of ignorance, we can find ourselves as creatures of excellence and intelligence and skill. We can be free! We can learn to fly!"
and this:

"The only true law is that which leads to freedom," Jonathan said. "There is no other."
and this:

“No, Jonathan, there is no such place. Heaven is not a place, and it is not a time. Heaven is being perfect.”
and the happy ending thing:


Jonathan Seagull discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that gull’s life is so short and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed.

I just remembered that story, today, out of the blue!




And I think back and realized how much I hated that fucking book!~!~!~!


5 comments:

Laura said...

Hahaha!!!
I was sitting here reading and thinking.. "Man, this guy is too deep for me!".
I read that book when I was a teenager in the 80's. I loved it. I even have the cd of the soundtrack (with Neil Diamond singing). That's when I was younger and sooo much smarter!
Now that I'm older I look back at it and think.. "wtf?"
Hehehe... loved this post!
((Hugs))
Laura

Randal Graves said...

Wasn't this turned into an animated flick? If so, I think I saw it, but thankfully, such artistic blasphemy has been burned out of my noodle by oodles of doobie.

Laura said...

Randal does drugs!?!
*Gasp*
;)

Christopher said...

I remember hearing the actress Barbara Hershey changed her name to Barbara Seagull.

I guess she wanted to feel solidarity with animals who shit on your car at the beach.

At least she didn't change her name to Barbara Cunt because she wanted to feel solidarity with pussies everywhere.

Cormac Brown said...

Man, I'm so glad that this was just before my time, seriously.

Blog Archive